Saturday, January 14, 2006

Well, what to talk about in this very first of my blog posts..?

Maybe I should start with what I have learnt today, which is the following:

1. Napa Valley Chenin Blanc is not the same dry, crisp wine as Chenin Blanc in the rest of the world. It is more like a sickly sweet dessert wine. Don’t buy it.

2. You can go ice skating after 20 years of absence from the ice and still know (kind of) how to do it. I guess it’s like riding a bike, driving a car, and… well – what else?

3. Children want to believe in magic. At what precise point in development does the shift occur whereby we become people who desperately do NOT want to believe, even in the face of evidence?

4. It is still winter, and we will be getting some snow tomorrow evening.

5. Two people can look back at something that happened to both of them and remember it as if it were two different events. When it’s someone you still talk to and can compare notes with, that’s one thing. But how many people I don’t know anymore appear in my memories as doing and saying things that as far as they are concerned have nothing to do with reality?

6. Yul Brunner was born in Vladivostok in 1915 and died in New York in 1985. Ordinarily, no disrespect to Brunner, I would forget this fact as quickly as I learnt it, but now it’s in my blog I will never forget.

7. Someone in Slovenia has the only currently available pirate/bootleg copy of the Joe Strummer documentary Let’s Rock Again on ebay, but does not accept PayPal and prefers “well concelled cash”.

I think that’s enough knowledge accumulated for one day – I will return to the treacle posing as wine and wait for some more insights before posting again.


(c) Jan Stenmark 2005

No comments: