Friday, March 24, 2006

Excuses for absence

Well, I know there are actually people out there who read this blog, and hence may be disappointed/relieved to find that I haven’t published any new posts for a while. Let me assure you that things will pick up again, but maybe not for a little while.

I am currently involved in a very inspiring project which is taking up pretty much all of my oodles and oodles of spare time (ha, ha) and in order to give this project my very best (which is what it deserves) I have had to put the blog on the back burner.

I am sure that when you are presented with the fruits of my labour – which you will be – you’ll agree that it was worth it. Even if the world will temporarily have to live without important insights about, say, the benefits of Emeril Lagasse over Rachael Ray (the former cooks for pleasure and gets so turned on by it the audience blushes, while the latter darts about the kitchen trying to please a seemingly endless stream of visitors) or the pros and cons of school report cards for 5-year-olds (“progressing well in all academic areas but needs frequent reminders to be respectful of others and to follow classroom rules” – jeez! I’m 35, and still need frequent reminders of those same things!)

In order to avoid the situation where you stop checking in altogether, I might just have to publish occasional mysterious comments about how the Big Project is going, or quiz-like questions such as “please explain, in no more than 2000 words, the identity of No 6 along with his societal and personal significance”.

What I do definitely promise is that I will keep you posted – eventually.

PS. For some reason, I have been plagued recently by an inexplicable longing for damp, British B&B's with creaking beds, G&T's by the fire and mornings so cold the only remote chance of warming up again is to fill up with the carb-and-cholesterol overload called a full English breakfast. In order to combat this irrational wish for death-by-floral-wallpaper, a long weekend has been booked at what is supposedly one of the best hotels this side of the Rockies. (They had a special deal for the spring break - I'll be sure to report back to you whether they kept the five star staff on for the week or replaced them with something more suitable for the pretentious wannabe crowd.)

No comments: